Category Archives: News

10Jul/20

US Takes Key Action for Human Rights in China

Click to expand Image

A child rests near the entrance to a mosque, where a banner reads “Love the party, Love the country” in the old city district of Kashgar in western China’s Xinjiang region, November 4, 2017. 

© 2017 AP Photo/Ng Han Guan

The US government took a crucial step for human rights in China today by imposing targeted sanctions on four top Xinjiang officials, freezing their assets in the United States and banning them from entering the country. This is the second time the US government has used the Global Magnitsky Act – effective since 2017 – to hold Chinese officials accountable for severe human rights violations.  

Those named include the Xinjiang Party Secretary and Politburo member Chen Quanguo, a mastermind behind the mass arbitrary detention, torture, and surveillance of millions of Turkic Muslims in the Xinjiang region. Chen was also responsible for repression against Tibetans as the Tibetan region’s Party Secretary between 2011 and 2016.

The sanctions come three years after victims from Xinjiang came forward to detail their harrowing experience being held without legal procedures in the region’s “political education” camps, where they are forced to shed their Turkic Muslim identity and pledge loyalty to the Chinese Communist Party. The sanctions also came after years of meticulous research: the role of Zhu Hailun, one of the sanctioned officials, came to light only after the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists released an operations manual for Xinjiang’s “political education” camps signed off by the Deputy Xinjiang Party Secretary.

The US Global Magnitsky sanctions would be more effective if other governments imposed similar restrictions. While the European Parliament has repeatedly urged the adoption of targeted sanctions on Chinese officials – most recently in a June resolution on Hong Kong and in a December 2019 resolution on Xinjiang – the European Union has yet to act. While the UK has just announced a similar human rights sanctions regime, no Chinese or Hong Kong government officials have been named among the first individuals penalized.

Imposing sanctions collectively will send a powerful message to a Chinese government increasingly disdainful of the global rule of law, compelling it to rethink its sense of impunity. At the United Nations on June 26, 50 UN human rights experts issued a searing indictment of human rights in China, calling on the UN Human Rights Council to scrutinize China’s record.

While sanctions can be a valuable tool to combat injustice, they are no substitute for genuine accountability. But Beijing has been put on notice that the world is increasingly willing to challenge its spiraling rights violations. 

09Jul/20

Bangladesh: Move Rohingya from Dangerous Silt Island

Click to expand Image

People stand by the banks of Bhasan Char, or floating island, in the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh, December 2019. 

 © 2019 AP Photo/Saleh Noman

(New York) – Bangladesh authorities should immediately move over 300 Rohingya refugees, including at least 33 children, from the silt island of Bhasan Char to the Cox’s Bazar refugee camps to be with their families, Human Rights Watch said today. Despite pledges, the Bangladesh government has yet to allow United Nations officials to provide protection services and aid to the refugees detained on Bhasan Char, who had been stranded at sea for several weeks.

The authorities said that the rescued refugees needed to be temporarily quarantined on Bhasan Char to protect against the spread of Covid-19 in the crowded camps. However, more than two months later, the refugees remain on the island, at risk of flooding and storms during the current monsoon season, despite calls from UN Secretary-General António Guterres and humanitarian experts to safely return them to the refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar.

“Bangladesh authorities are using the pandemic as an excuse to detain refugees on a spit of land in the middle of a churning monsoon sea while their families anxiously pray for their return,” said Brad Adams, Asia director. “The government is inexplicably delaying aid workers’ access to support the refugees with immediate care, and refusing to reunite them with their families in the Cox’s Bazar camps.”

Families in Cox’s Bazar told Human Rights Watch that relatives on Bhasan Char are being held without freedom of movement or adequate access to food or medical care, and face severe shortages of safe drinking water. Some refugees have alleged that they were beaten and ill-treated by Bangladesh authorities on the island.

Some families in Cox’s Bazar said that camp leaders told them that if they wanted to see their family members, they must join them on the island. One refugee in Cox’s Bazar told Human Rights Watch that a leader from his camp came and collected his personal information, saying that they needed it because his son is on Bhasan Char. “One of them visited my shelter and said I might need to go over there to join my son,” he said.

But he has serious concerns about going to Bhasan Char, even to see his son. “When I was last able to talk to my son, he complained about everything over there,” he said. “If we are forced to relocate there then there will be no option other than to flee from my shelter. My son even told me not to agree to their proposal at any cost.”

Refugees’ fears over relocating to Bhasan Char are well-founded. Humanitarian experts have repeatedly raised concerns over the habitability of the island and whether refugees living there would have freedom of movement and access to food, water, medical care, and education. When then-UN special rapporteur on Myanmar, Yanghee Lee, visited the island in January 2019, she questioned whether the island was “truly habitable.”

Given these concerns, Bangladesh authorities have repeatedly said that no refugees would be involuntarily relocated to Bhasan Char, saying that the government would await a “green signal” from UN agencies and independent technical experts. Shah Kamal, senior secretary of Bangladesh’s Disaster Management Ministry, told the media on October 30, 2019, that “UN agencies will conduct a technical assessment regarding the safety issues in the island … and we will not start the relocation without any clearance from the UN agencies.”

However, the government has gone back on this promise by refusing to return the refugees to their families, preventing UN agencies from visiting the refugees to provide protection, medical, and verification services, and refusing to allow UN agencies access to the island to conduct a transparent assessment of its habitability.

Bangladesh actions to move more refugees to Bhasan Char would be a dangerous reversal of the government’s position, Human Rights Watch said. A disaster management and relief minister, Enamur Rahman, told Reuters in February that “We have not taken a final decision yet, but we’re no longer interested in moving them [to Bhasan Char],” and added that the government wanted to work with China and Myanmar to focus “instead on a safe, dignified and sustainable repatriation.”

Meanwhile, Myanmar has yet to take concrete steps to enable safe and voluntary refugee returns. Donors and concerned governments should insist that the Myanmar government and military ensure the security and basic rights of Rohingya, ensure unhindered access for international humanitarian agencies to provide resources and monitor rights, and provide full citizenship for the Rohingya, with all accompanying rights and protections, Human Rights Watch said.

“The Bangladesh government’s assurances that the refugees on Bhasan Char are safe and well-off means the authorities should welcome the UN’s unfettered access to the island to provide protection and basic services, and conduct a long overdue technical assessment,” Adams said. “While Bangladesh authorities should not be cruelly holding refugees’ lives in the balance, concerned governments should do more to press Myanmar to accept responsibility for the Rohingya refugees.”